Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Move'n In!

Hi Everyone,
Finally it is time to start moving all my supplies into the new craftspace.  I have been rushing home from work everyday and bringing things in little by little.  I have a lot of cleaning to do along the way as all my boxes got pretty dirty and beat up while being in storage. I just can't believe how fast it all came together.  I have to give Paul most of the credit.  I would say "I need" and he would say "No problem"  He did an awesome job reworking shelving, running wires and making my new work space exactly like I wanted.  Thanks Paul, you get the husband of the year award for sure!!  So I really need to go back to the beginning and show you pics of a few things.   Here is a picture of a shelving unit that I saw in the ABC Distributing Catalog.  I loved it the minute I saw it.
It sold for $25.99 plus shipping.  I liked it so much because the shelves are just under 7 inches deep.  I thought this would work out great for the shelving above my work desk.  I bought 3 of them and when they arrived I loved them even more because I knew I could switch them up a bit and create an entire wall of shelving for less than $100.00.  Paul needed to make some adjustments to the hanging hardware because they are not designed to hold the amount of weight I was planning on.  Here is a picture of how they came out:
I know it doesn't look like much but that is 93 X 72 inches of shelves.  Here is a picture of how it looks now that it is filling up with all kinds of crafty goodness:
Love!!! Paul cut me 2 panels of sheet metal from my original magnet board so that I could still have my favorite embellishments right at hand.  Here is a close up:
I love having my work desk back. If I need a ruler, It's right there.  Scissors right at hand as well.  It came out great and there is a bit of room left up high for some decorative things.
Next I started to work on the paper storage.  I have been trying to organize it in between opening up boxes and unpacking things.  Here is a before and after picture of the Ikea Billy bookcases.
 Wow, they are filling up fast! I decided to switch up the basket side with the machine side so that from the entry point it would be a cleaner look.  But as you can see there will be machines on both units.  In the top picture you can see where Paul made me a top for the black drawer unit.  The top is recycled from Rory's bed frame.  It was part of the headboard. Paul cut it down and made plugs to fill the screw holes.  It came out great and gave me another work surface.
I didn't want any curtains in this room but the window moulding is shot.  There are paint splatters all over so I thought I would add some curtains.  I bought sheer curtain scarfs from the SwagsGalore website for $15.00 each.  The panels were 40 X 216 inches.  I had them draped and swaged and just didn't like it.  So not to waste the fabrics or have them live in my linen closet I decided to run them across the top of the window and across the top of the closet.  I cut them in half at the width and used 40 X 108 inches on each.  All I did was hang cheap hook from Lowes, pulled the fabric through rubber bands, gave the fabric a twist and there you have it, my 2 treatments for $30.00.  Here's the pictures:

I am pretty sure you can tell that I didn't even take the time to iron the panels.  That's because all I wanted to do was unpack more boxes.  Doesn't my new home office area in a closet look cute.  I still have a bit of work to do there. At least my PC is out of the dinning room! And sure enough there are those black drawers again.  I bought every one that I could find at 2 Lowes. In total I have 27 drawers.  So here is how that worked out  I made 2 - 4 drawer units for under the window, 1 - 5 drawer unit next to my work space (my large format printer fits on it perfectly), 1 - 5 drawer unit by the door and 2 -3 drawer units to fit under my work table. These could not have suited my needs better.  I will be labeling them with bookplates that I pulled off of my old metal file cabinet (which Paul is taking for tools)  He will use sticker labels but I wanted a nicer look.  Here is a picture of the plates:

The best part about these drawers is that they are easy to switch up.  I am filling them up and when I am done unpacking I will be able to change them around from rack to rack with ease.
Before I go here is my before and after picture of the room from the same angle.  I just love how it is coming together.
I just can't wait to get some crafty goodness going in this new space. And not to promote crafting and drinking but I think it's time I settle in and enjoy a Martini in my new space
Now doesn't that look yummy!
Thanks as always for visiting and hopefully my next post will be a crafty one!
Lysa

4 comments:

  1. This is so exciting Lysa....so good to see you getting all your crafting goodies out and sorted! Your new space is looking amazing :) I love the office in the closet, I think that's a brilliant idea. Having all those drawers the same means you can move things around really easily if you want to rearrange down the track. What a bargain they were! I see your Zing has pride of place on your work desk lol I bet it's one of the first things to get used once you're settled in :) Looking forward to seeing your first project from your new room.
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your room looks amazing Lysa! I love how you have everything arranged and I love those shelves you got!! Looking forward to seeing your crafty goodness again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lynne and Brenda,
    I am calling today a working holiday. I still have box on top of box to unpack! Today I am working on the closet office space. I am driving Paul nuts, every time the man sits down I ask if he can do something else. He really is a dear! Thanks for checking in and I am warming up the Zing to make a wall quote. I used almost all my vinyl on Rory's room and I am hoping I have enough black to make something for the craft room. Thanks again for visiting me.
    Lysa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! You just had to add that martini glass to finish the room off.

    ReplyDelete